Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Who Heard About Captain America?

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Who Heard About Captain America?

Captain America returned to the Marvel Universe this week, and I'm told that it was a major news story. If you're not a regular comics reader, you may or may not remember that Cap was assassinated last spring (it was a story that kept popping up in the regular media). The attention the storyline received made it an instant sell-out. Now the story has progressed to the point where Cap's former sidekick (who himself recently returned from having been presumed dead for the last forty-five years) has stepped into his shoes. I read comics and follow the comics press, so I was aware of this, but I never saw any mention of it in the regular press. Yes, I read reports that it appeared (and here's the AP story most outlets picked up), and I knew that Marvel's editor in chief was going on The Colbert Report (Newsarama has the video), but had I not read comics sites writing about all this, I'd have never have seen it.

I talked to the folks at Chicago Comics, and because it was a replacement Captain America rather than the real thing, they hadn't expected it to be a big deal, either, but they had a run on the comic and had to limit it to two copies per person before essentially selling out of it the day it was released with about an hour and a half to go before closing. It may have only been the regular Wednesday comics buyers anticipating a quick windfall (though it doesn't seem like it's getting a lot of action on eBay at the moment), but it could've been people alerted by the news. Was there a lot of news? Did anybody see this through normal channels, or am I just paying far too much attention to the political scene these days?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home