Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Captain America--Still Dead

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Captain America--Still Dead

Here's a quick follow-up on the whole assassination of Captain America situation. This thing has legs! Far more people seem to be talking about it than I'd have expected. Stephen Colbert did a segment on it Thursday night (you should be able to see it here, but I've been having technical difficulties all evening, and I couldn't quite get it to go myself). Over at Huffington Post, superagent Ari Emmanuel suggests that Bush and Cheney are responsible. "On paper he was offed by a sniper's bullet. But in reality it was the toxic state of Bush and Cheney's America. It's hard to be a star-spangled Super Soldier these days." Newsweek covered it and included interviews with Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada and Marvel Legend Stan Lee. Stan's steel-trap memory was on display when he talked about how he tried to portray the hero during the '60s: "In fact, when I reintroduced Captain America in the ‘60s--I believe he had been buried in a glacier or something and we brought him back to life--I tried to write him as though he felt he was something of an anachronism." The Beat even reported that Quesada was going to be on Geraldo this weekend (although I couldn't confirm it--I couldn't even find where Geraldo's show appears these days).

This has touched more of a chord than I'd have ever expected--perhaps more than even Marvel expected. Of course, Marvel being Marvel, now they'll exploit it for all they're worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home