Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Live Earth

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Live Earth

I guess we're right in the middle of Al Gore's concert event of the summer. You certainly can't second-guess the sweep of it--covering nine cities (Washington was a late add-on) on six continents, with even an Antarctica gig by a band made up of five members of a UK science team (but no Snow Patrol, as I'd originally hoped--they're playing Wembley).

I know I've been busy lately, and perhaps I haven't been looking in the right places, but I've heard very little about this event. Is the info out there and I just missed it? Does anybody else feel inundated by hype? That doesn't sound too promising, given that the stated intention of Live Earth was to promote information about and action on global warming. We'll have to see what's been accomplished after it's all over.

As for me, I was trying to get some coverage on the radio, but XRT, which claims exclusive coverage for Chicago, is being very selective in what they share. When I first tuned in, I heard the end of a Genesis song from Wembley, and then the DJ followed it with studio tracks of "Dream Police" by Cheap Trick and "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. I was interrupted for a few minutes while writing this and came back to hear a Live Earth track from the aforementioned Snow Patrol, followed up by the non-Live Earth "Sweet Jane." I guess there'll be no global warming information for me.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, July 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to them as well, seems they were selecting certain bands and not having us suffer through horrendous sets by Fergie, Keith Urban and Bon Jovi. They were doing mini sets every hour from what I figured out. It was pretty good. I caught a Foo Fighter's song this morning on my way to work. They said they will be playing select songs thru out the week

 
At 7:08 PM, July 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not have been listening to it at the same time as you were, because it seemed to me that they were offering a single stray song every 15 minutes or so. I would've preferred to get more of a sense of the event, which they could've accomplished by playing "mini-sets" of three or four in a row.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home