Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Computer Problems

Friday, June 29, 2007

Computer Problems

I've been having very odd problems with my keyboard. I was starting to write a post about my computer for no reason deciding to type backwards, right to left. The curser would remain to the left of a letter, and the next letter would appear at the curser (with the curser still to the left). If I'm not looking at the screen when I'm typing, I can type a couple of lines before I notice that everything's backwards. It can stop going backwards and type the traditional left-to-right direction just as quickly as it can start. That was happening quite a lot with last night's post, and I wanted to mention that in the post I'd started. I was getting a lot of backwards typing in that one, too, but I especially realized there was a problem when I went to copy the URL of that post to copy and paste into the new post, and it wouldn't take. Although I could highlight it, the URL wouldn't copy, using either menu or keyboard commands. I was trying a couple of different ways, and nothing. When I was looking around, none of the links on the composition page would work, either.

I work on an older PC (I know this will forever keep me out of hanging with the cool kids, but I've never liked the interface or the feel of the Mac--even though I sometimes work with one when editing books--so I'm sticking with what makes me happy) running Windows 2000, and I prefer to use Firefox for browsing the Internet. Because I wasn't sure I'd be able to save the past I was writing, though, I took a step backwards, fired up an old Netscape program, and am now composing this post there.

While it may be a Firefox problem (and I'm not sure if it's limited to Firefox, but since I've been paying close attention, that's the only place I've seen it), it's not one specific to this computer. I'm writing at home now, but I wrote last night's post at work, so the problem affects both computers (and I believe that one runs Windows XP). It may be a virus on both computers, and I'll do a scan after this gets posted. I also saw some Websites suggesting that this would happen if the left arrow key was pressed down, but if I press down the left arrow key and type, nothing unusual happens.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so, does anybody have a solution? I'm even ready to entertain the idea that I've got some weird electrical aura that's causing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home