Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: DVD or No DVD?

Sunday, June 24, 2007

DVD or No DVD?

I've got only light blogging today. Here at Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Central, we've been doing some first-hand research in preparation for Sicko, so there's not a lot of focus on what else might be going on around the world. I was in looking at DVDs the other day, though, and I spotted something that was very odd. It's hardly a surprise, I guess, but they're selling Deal or No Deal CDs. What could possibly compel someone to buy such a thing? I've seen it a few times, and unless you're a massive Howie Mandell completist, what's the point? As far as I can tell, the appeal of the show is the suspense of how much is in the suitcase chosen by the contestant, what suitcases the contestant will select to open, and whether the contestant is going to get a good deal out of the Banker. I can see watching an episode once, but why on earth would you want to watch it again? You know how much is in the first suitcase, you know how the other amounts of money play out, and you know whether the contestant got the better of the Banker or not. Other than the witty repartee of Howie Mandell, what kinds of rewards can be gained by second (and third, and fourth) viewings? I suppose you can ask that of virtually any TV show or movie, but there's sometimes a certain artistry to how they pull an episode off. With Deal of No Deal? Nothing. Surely I'm not missing something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home