Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Quick Hits

Friday, February 16, 2007

Quick Hits

"Hey, you got salmonella in my peanut butter!" "No, you got peanut butter on my salmonella!" There's a recall of peanut butter focusing on the Peter Pan and Great Value brands. People in 39 states have gotten sick, so check the stock number printed on the label or jar lid if you've got either of them in your pantry. Fortunately, I've got nothing to worry about. I'm allergic, so peanut butter can kill me with or without salmonella.

I was wondering why Al Gore was on the Grammys the other night giving an award to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but now it all makes sense. He's turning into a concert promoter. Today Gore announced what may be the biggest rock show ever. Called Live Earth, it's intended to call attention to global warming, and it'll be all over the world on July 7. The Chili Peppers have signed up (did the Grammys guarantee that Gore could get whoever won the award he was presenting?), along with a host of others. They're promising more than 100, although they haven't released 100 names yet. (Cameron Diaz also took part in the announcement, so does that mean there's no Justin?)

In case you didn't notice, that date is 7/7/7, so they really have no choice but to feature shows on all seven continents. That's right, Antarctica's getting a show, too. I guess Snow Patrol (who has been announced) is pretty much a lock for that one. The location is To Be Determined, but I hope they make sure it's not on an ice shelf that might break off and float away from the continent. It would be awfully embarrassing to have the first major rock show (and I saw major, because there's really nothing to do in Antarctica, and I can't imagine that someone stationed down there at some point hasn't organized a bar band to play for the other people whiling away their off-duty time) on the continent, and especially a show focused on global warming, to not actually be on the continent.

Last night, I wrote about a bogus quote by Abraham Lincoln that's been making the rounds. I've been immersed on a Civil War project at my day job, and since we're sort of on the subject, there's something I want to share. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the Internet, and I've found some interesting sites. But this one seemed to have an extremely intriguing premise. In case you were wondering, here's how Xena, Warrior Princess, stacks up as a military commander against various Civil War generals, such as Robert E. Lee and Nathan Bedford Forrest (and if you want a hint, she doesn't come out too badly).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home