Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: New Trends in Breakfast Cereal

Sunday, February 11, 2007

New Trends in Breakfast Cereal

I've been eating an odd cereal for breakfast lately. I've had cereal for breakfast on most days since I was a little kid. My mother, not wanting to get up at the break of dawn, which I had a tendency to do at the time, would leave a bowl of cereal on the table and a glass of milk to pour over it in the fridge so I could make my own breakfast from a young age. Although I've gotten over it a bit as I've gotten older, for a long time it didn't feel entirely like I'd had breakfast if it didn't include a little bit of cereal. Consequently, when there are new cereals, I'm curious to give them a try.

One cereal that bored me as a kid but that I've actually come to enjoy as an adult is Special K. Like a lot of product lines, lately, they've been trying to expand the brand with variations on the theme. They've added pieces of freeze-dried strawberries, vanilla-flavored with almonds, and fruit and hard pieces of yogurt, among other things. But a new version has come on the market, and it seems an odder choice than these others, which at least make some sort of breakfast sense. The new product is Special K Chocolatey Delight. There are actually pieces of some sort of chocolate substance mixed in with the Special K flakes. Now, I'm not sure exactly how the government defines chocolate, but I can only guess that it's for some other substance than what's in this cereal. The name is "Chocolatey Delight," and the come on on the box promises "chocolatey pieces." You know they're only using that y at the end of the word because they have to, because whatever these pieces are, they're not strictly defined chocolate.

But aside from all that, how does the cereal taste? We've had Cocoa Puffs, Cocoa Krispies, Count Chocula, and probably many others that escape my mind right now for years, so it's not as though chocolate has never been a part of breakfast before. But I'm not afraid to admit that I've never had a bowl of Special K and thought, "If only there were some chocolate in here" (though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone actually had). In my mind, the chocolatey pieces don't really add that much to the breakfast experience, but they don't detract from it, either. The big problem they do have, though, is that they don't float. Some of the pieces may be on top of a flake of Special K, or something, but for the most part, all the chocolatey material sinks to the bottom of the milk and is difficult to pick up on your spoon. I sometimes had to move them to the edge of the bowl and then eat them from there.

All this may not be the problem that it sounds, though. According to this article from the end of last year in USA Today, Special K Chocolatey Delight is expected to serve more as an after-dinner snack rather than a breakfast cereal. So, what, are we supposed to eat it straight out of the box, with no milk, at all? The best place to sell before-bed snacks might not be the cereal aisle. The article mentions that there's now a Life Chocolate Oat Crunch cereal, as well, but I haven't tried that one yet. The best line in the article comes from a nutritionist at Stanford: "Is cabernet going into cereal next?" I don't doubt that it's in the pipeline.

Here's the Special K Website. It's a flash site, though, so I don't know how to offer a link any more specific than the home page. If you're interested, you'll have to click through to find the Chocolatey Delight yourself.

7 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, February 11, 2007, Blogger mike a said...

I like Special K without the extras. Or, instead of choclatey, eaten with a couple eggs, some bacon, hash browns, coffee, and orange juice.

 
At 2:28 PM, February 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although it may be anti-intuitive, bacon makes a lot of sense on cereal, because it will stay crisp. Hash browns, though, get soggy almost the instant you pour milk on them.

 
At 6:50 PM, February 11, 2007, Blogger mike a said...

I gonna have to agree with you on this one. For too long we leftists have been accused of lettings our cereal go soft, of not having what it takes to keep a milk and grain mixture crisp for the duration. The adversary would portray us as wanting to toothlessly gum our way through the most important—and most American—meal of the day. Well let me state right now those lies are flat-out wrong. Untrue as well are the stories about San Francisco Starbucks selling—and administering—coffee enemas to their customers, even going so far as to forcibly inject their dark witches brew into the nether orifii of unsuspecting families on tour from the Christian heartland.

I hope that clears things up.

 
At 4:23 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Don said...

A friend and I recently tried to create the Homer-Simpson-inspired chocolate-covered bacon. It's pretty tasty but definitely lacking something to give the 2 strong tastes some cohesion. Reading this post makes me realize the missing ingredient: milk. I imagine chocolate-covered bacon crisps mixed in with special K flakes and doused in milk would be a delicious treat. But chocolaty-covered bacony crisps? not so much.

 
At 7:11 PM, February 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once brought chocolate bacon to a party at work. You're right, there was nothing really wrong with it, but something was somehow missing. Unfortunately, no one thought to pour milk on it at the time to find out for sure if the absent ingredient was as simple as that.

 
At 12:35 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Referenced at:
http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2007/02/cereal-and-blogging.html

 
At 10:01 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lloyd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home