Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Punch and Judy -udy, -udy

Friday, August 25, 2006

Punch and Judy -udy, -udy

I was watching Wolf Blitzer's Situation Room yesterday (remember, I don't normally have cable), and liberal Bill Press was talking to conservative J. C. Watts about the morning-after pill. There was nothing particularly memorable or intriguing about the conversation, but the way that they were each standing behind the lectern (or whatever it is) smiling happily and slightly facing each other reminded me of something. Maybe it was the four martinis I had at lunch that moved my thinking in this direction, but it seemed like nothing so much as Punch and Judy. You know that if one of them had had a bat they would have hit the other with it. And right then it hit me that this is what our present-day political discourse has come to. We have no ideas. We have no reasonable give and take. We just have the entertainment of bashing each other over the head (ostensibly with political ideas) for entertainment purposes. You can almost pick any popular political figure and figure out who the corresponding Punch or Judy would be. What kind of way is this to run the country, much less how to run the world?

2 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

I think the martinis cleared your vision.

 
At 12:11 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home