Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Memorial Day Weekend

Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

Here we are at the beginning of summer (sort of), and once again, people are lining up on the interstates and at airports to start traveling their hearts out. Not me, of course, because after just coming back into town all I want to do is line up for an early bed. I don't know what it's like where you are, but gas prices have dropped by a few pennies around here. Still, they're far higher than any of us would've expected a year ago. And they're high enough that I assumed we'd be seeing some obvious signs of people hurting and changing their behavior because of them. I have to admit that I expected (and I wasn't alone on this, believe me) high gas prices to at least slow some of the this year's Memorial Day travel down, but it doesn't seem to have even put a dent in it. Oh sure, experts are suggesting that the growth of travel will be off, but it's still growing. I hope we can keep this up indefinitely, but I have to wonder how much longer we can shrug off the effects of what a year ago we'd've considered crippling energy prices.

All that aside, is anybody traveling for the holiday? How far are you going? Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home