Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Cutting-Edge Computers

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Cutting-Edge Computers

Regular readers of this blog will have long-since tired of my complaining about computer issues. Well, I'm finally ready to do something about it. I'll get something new that will allow me to work more quickly and efficiently and, perhaps more significantly, I'll shut the hell up about my complaints.

Getting back into the computer market, however, is a pretty big deal these days. My machine is more than six years old, so I haven't really been looking at new technology since the last millennium. I've still got Windows 98, and my hard drive has only eight gigs. My processor speeds along at 466MHz. I don't even know what my options are. What should I be looking for? What should I avoid? All help and suggestions would be appreciated.

5 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger Stevie T said...

NEW COMPUTER!
NEW COMPUTER!
NEW COMPUTER!
YAAAAYYYYY!

 
At 12:38 PM, February 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this were Eschaton, I'd be remiss if I didn't shout:

GET A MAC!

That said, I still would recommend one. The new iMacs are very nice, and the new MacBookPro (whatever they're calling the notebooks these days...) looks to be quite a leap forward. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

(If you're set on PC, I canna no help. The last one of those I used with any regularity was a Leading Edge back in the DOS days...)

 
At 12:24 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

If you're set on a PC, I'm very happy with my Gateway. More details if you want 'em...
Stu

 
At 1:13 PM, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm burying this here in the backyard, since it's on topic here.

Both John "americablog" Aravosis and Josh Marshall have both recently gotten Macs...

You know ya wanna...

 
At 1:10 AM, March 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never understood the siren call of the Mac. I'm surprised that Josh Marshall got one, because he just explained why he wasn't going to a few days ago.

My experience with Macs (at my job I work with both PC and Mac) is that they usually work smoothly, but when they don't, they become inscrutable. I've seen people pulling their hair out when a program doesn't load like it's supposed to. Just today, my Mac and its monitor all of a sudden were no longer on speaking terms. I don't know who said what to whom, but the monitor refused to accept a signal. Our tech guy tried working on it and couldn't get anything to happen. The Mac would work with other monitors, and the monitor would work with other Macs, but they wouldn't work with each other, and he was stumped as to why or what to do about it. I'm not sure their specific histories at the company, but both were reasonably new.

At least with a PC, I feel like I know a little bit about it and can get it to do what it should, or at least understand why it won't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home