Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: More Stockyards Readings

Friday, March 13, 2009

More Stockyards Readings

The weekend's almost upon us, and Saturday evening brings another Stockyards Theatre Project reading for Woman's History Month. Last week at The Common Cup went well. That is, as long as you made sure the lid on your cup was snapped on tightly. I'd ordered a mocha or something, and the barista had poured a lovely pattern in cream at the top. He took a picture of it (for the Web site, he said, though I don't see it there) before putting the lid on (and he did it firmly). When I got to my table, I took the lid off to show my companions, and I didn't replace it firmly. I probably would've realized that had I not gotten up to get a napkin or something. When I returned to the table, I hadn't noticed that the lid was on top of the cup but wasn't firmly on, so I picked it up and took a sip. Unfortunately, more of the coffee ended up on my shirt than in my mouth--I lit out immediately to the restroom, where I had to take the shirt off to rinse it out in the sink. I was back at my table in time for the reading, and I held my coat in front of me until my shirt was dry enough. The three performance readings we had, though, easily lifted my spirits, though.

This Saturday, though, we shouldn't have the same problem. We'll be at The Book Cellar in Chicago's Lincoln Square, so there won't be any coffee or lids to worry about. This week there are three pieces lined up: "Forgiveness," by Anita Valentin; "The Tears of Release She Craved," by Lisa Siciliano; and "Forever Jung," by Gwyneth Davis. It starts up at 7:00, and there's no admission charge (although you can provide a donation to Stockyards, if you'd like).

This will be the final Saturday reading this month, but there are three more coming on the three remaining Tuesdays of the month. The first one, at the Northtown Branch of the Chicago Public Library is just a few days away. The works scheduled for Tuesday, March 17, include: "An Ounce of Truth: Deshuan," by Earliana McLaurin; "Important Issues," by Cyra K. Polizzi; and "As Yet Unknown," by Elana Elyce. The festivities begin at 7:00 for this one, too. Come on by and check it out if you're in the neighborhood!

Disclaimer: I should probably point this out in case anybody's not aware of it. Mrs. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk (a.k.a. Francesca Peppiatt) is Managing Director of Stockyards, and I'm on the board. This is a completely biased recommendation.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, March 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, The Book Cellar serves coffee, and also wine, beer, and food, so you can have your pick regarding stains.

I have something going on later that night but I'll see you all there early on.

 
At 4:50 PM, March 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so now all the responsibility is back on me. Thanks a lot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home