Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Standing Up for Artistic Integrity

Monday, February 02, 2009

Standing Up for Artistic Integrity

Here's something I found amusing. Chicago Trib rock critic Greg Kot called the Super Bowl halftime show "the best and worst of Bruce Springsteen." Although he had various complaints, the absolute worst moment for Kot was when the "ref" interrupted the performance to penalize Springsteen and his E Streeters.

It was an example of Springsteen’s humor at its cheesiest; perhaps entertaining to an audience who would just as soon be dipping into the guacamole, but a letdown for fans who expected a more convincing musical statement from one of the greatest live performers of the last three decades. This was Springsteen as song-and-dance man, an accomplished artist reduced to pandering.

Dude--it was the Super Bowl halftime show! Just agreeing to show up is pandering.

As for me, I thought the whole thing depended on context. Rated against other Super Bowl halftime shows? This is the best I've seen in a while (maybe ever, when you consider that it used to be filled with performances by Up with People and such). Against other Springsteen performances? I'll just say I've seen better.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, February 03, 2009, Blogger Stevie T said...

I agree. I actually looked forward to it. I was happy he started with "10th Avenue...", but I expected him to play "Born in the USA" for some reason though, or maybe "Pink Cadillac."

 
At 6:44 AM, February 07, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree. It reminded me of the Santa Claus is Comin' to Town single. Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home