Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Still Distracted

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Still Distracted

I continue to be knee-deep in late deadlines, so I don't much know what's going on outside my window (except that it's snowing on and off). One thing that I've noticed when I get single-minded in the service of something is that I really do get single-minded. I've got a selection of CDs to listen to at work, but the only one I've put on since last week (or maybe before, I'm not sure) is Catatonia's Greatest Hits. When it finishes, I just hit play again, and I suspect that I'm going to use it to see me through to the end of this project. I keep thinking that I'll put something else on next time (the even money's on Neon Bible, if anything, but I'm not at all sure that I'll take Catatonia out of the player). I'll admit that I did browse a couple of other Specials videos last night while looking for "Nelson Mandela," so "(What I Like Most About You Is Your) Girlfriend" has been going through my head all day, as well. For that matter, "All That Ever Mattered" by Orange Juice has been floating around in my mind since some time last week. I haven't heard that album in quite some time--possibly even a couple of years. I don't know what that's about.

So am I alone in this tunnel vision I experience when I've got something that needs doing? Does anybody else get their mind in one place and leave it there?

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, January 28, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I once spent a week on tour in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was a performer and the tour manager for a show about substance abuse. The six of us traveled in a new Ford Aerostar that FMC had donated use of. I did most of the driving and we subsisted for the entire week on a single cassette of Steely Dan's Greatest Hits that kept cycling over and over. To this day, Babylon Sisters sends my mind tripping back to that week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home