Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: It May Be Your Land, but It's Not Your Video

Monday, January 19, 2009

It May Be Your Land, but It's Not Your Video

Last night I (and a number of other bloggers) posted a clip of Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen singing "This Land Is Your Land" at the Lincoln Memorial for the Barack Obama inauguration concert. I hope you got to see it--if you didn't, it's too late now. One of the verses they sang went:

A great, high wall there that tried to stop me,
A great big sign there said, "Private Property,"
But on the other side, it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

That side may have been made for you and me, but the front of the "Private Property" side belongs exclusively to HBO, and they won't let you see the clip. Sorry, but I've got no pithy punch line to make the irony even more lacerating.

Fortunately, however, thanks to a commenter at Crooked Timber and the reality of the global marketplace, we've got a replacement. The video isn't as clear as before, and it's leaking into the blogroll (sorry for those of you browsing on IE), but that's not the point. Kudos to German news channel N24 for helping make sure that this land is your land once again.

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, January 20, 2009, Blogger Stevie T said...

Wonderful! I've often looked for versions of this song that includes that verse. I haven't found many (and can't remember which ones did now).

This may be the most high profile performance of that verse in a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home