Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Twice Is Nice

Friday, January 16, 2009

Twice Is Nice

I was intending to mention this yesterday, but I'm on deadline at work again, so I didn't have the time. And, in fact, I'm exhausted tonight and need to go to bed, so I won't have as much to say about this as I'd like to, but on Wednesday, we got a replay of last week's Illinois House impeachment vote. This time, though, it was 117-1 (the sole no vote coming from Blago's wife's sister). I'm not exactly sure of the red tape that required a second vote, but it had something to do with this being a new legislature--the previous vote was made by outgoing legislators, and this one was made by those who won their November elections; there's a huge overlap, of course, but some representatives (such as Deborah Mell, Blago's sister-in-law) are brand, spanking new. Another feature to the vote this time is that Blago himself was nearby, swearing in the new Illinois state senators. These are the people who will hear the impeachment trial and decide whether he continues in office or not. Most every report I saw or heard claimed that the atmosphere was awkward. I guess. Blago continued his recent string of quotes, though, but I swear every time I hear him repeat Lincoln's words, I expect him to end up paraphrasing, instead: "With malice toward none, and charity toward me." The impeachment trial is expected to start in about a week and a half on Monday, January 26. Given how he handled the Burris appointment, I suspect we can pretty much expect him to try to pull something before then.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, January 16, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just me taking a shoot-from-the-hip guess, but I wonder if the reason Blago is hanging so tough is that perhaps he is counting on a number of his fellows to "gum up the works" in the proceedings against him, on the logic that some number of them are just as dirty as Blago (albeit on a junior level), and he can tacitly threaten to take them down with him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home