Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Not So Fast

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Not So Fast

It was entirely my fault. I should never have revealed that I was optimistic that UPS had actually found the package that they lost track of three weeks ago. No--I should never have been optimistic about it in the first place. On what grounds should I have been optimistic in the first place? Just because they claimed that they had it? What was I thinking?

Yesterday, UPS left a notice on our door that they'd tried to deliver the package. I called UPS, gave them the number on the notice, and asked if it could be held at the UPS pickup location where we could get it today. No problem, they told me. And, sucker that I am, I mistakenly thought that meant there would be no problem.

So I went out to the pick-up location, bright and early this morning. I took them the notice, and they said that they had the package. They asked me for I'd, so I pulled out my driver's license. The clerk asked me about a name other than the one on my license, and I looked at him quizzically. He encouragingly identified an address in my neighborhood that was, likewise, not the address on my ID. I told him that I didn't know what he meant just as another clerk brought a package that corresponded with the name and address I'd just been given. The driver had given me the wrong notice the day before. So some poor guy had received a notice on Monday. For all I know, he signed that notice so the delivery person would leave the package yesterday. Instead, the delivery person tried to drop it off with me. When I called to have the package held for pick up, I guaranteed that he wouldn't get a third delivery attempt, at least not today. I hope he wasn't waiting for it as a Christmas gift.

As for our package? Who knows. UPS insists that they now have it, if they can ever get it into our hands. At this point, though, I'm not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home