Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Props to the Zamboni

Friday, December 19, 2008

Props to the Zamboni

The weather forecasters are telling us that we're getting a bunch of snow overnight in Chicago, and it's already started outside my window. I should be going to bed to get decent sleep for what promises to be a challenging drive into work tomorrow morning, but I can't escape my compulsion to blog. I'll keep it quick, though, as I pass along one of the saddest videos I've ever seen.

In preparation for the NHL's Winter Classic taking place in a couple of weeks at Wrigley Field, a couple of Zambonis were delivered. One of them, unfortunately, had trouble getting off the truck, and, well, you'll just have to click through to see. I don't know why the Zamboni (be sure to capitalize it, because it's a registered trademark) seems to be such a universally beloved device, but it is. Sarah Palin is even on the record as wanting to name a child after the vehicle. A year or two ago, I was with my six-year-old nephew at a skating rink. At one point they cleared the rink to clean it off, and out came the Zamboni. I'm not sure who said it, but somebody exclaimed, "Who doesn't love a Zamboni?" My nephew, his eyes wide, replied in a whisper, almost under his breath, "Nobody." He was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home