Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Hangin' Around at Home

Monday, December 29, 2008

Hangin' Around at Home

We did the drive home today, which was pretty noneventful. And we made it into town in time to check out the UPS pickup center. If you've been following along on your own computer, you'll know that we've been having a bit of a problem with it. The package was sent on December 1 (due for arrival on December 2). Now, finally, a full four weeks after it went out, on the fourth trip out to the UPS pickup center when they promised it was there (the first of which occurred on December 4), we finally got our package. It was a bit worse for wear. It turns out that the package were a couple of documents in a regular business envelope that was then placed in some outer packaging (I'm guessing a flat UPS envelope). Yes, it is a bit odd that I'm guessing what the original packaging was, but I have to because at some point during its 28-day journey, the package had some trouble with a flame of some kind. The business envelope was charred at the corner, with about half an inch in both directions missing. The documents in the envelope and the label (which was now on the outside center of a very large padded envelope) were likewise charred. I don't know if it just got too close to a Christmas candle or what the problem might've been. Now that we have it, I suppose we'll never know.

Unfortunately, it wasn't all good news on our arrival home. It turns out that the plumbing problems we had last week weren't entirely solved. We found the toilet with dirty water in it, and a lot of dry silt in the bathtub, which had apparently leaked in earlier and dried out. Something's still backing up, even though the weather is warm enough that we know no pipes are frozen. That means they're plugged for some other reason. While I continue with my time off from work, it looks like it's back to waiting around for the plumber for me. Ah, the newfound joys of home ownership.


Post a Comment

<< Home