Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: It All Adds Up

Saturday, November 22, 2008

It All Adds Up

The thought first occurred to me during the election, but I quickly dismissed because the stakes were too high. But what if McCain knew he had no chance to pull out a win? What if he never intended to put Sarah Palin forward as a legitimate vice presidential nominee but had some other motive? Since the election's over, it seems like it's becoming more and more apparent that there was more at work in the pick than strictly political considerations.

I think Sarah Palin is an elaborate art project. If Marcel DuChamp had been into performance art , this is something that he might've done nearly a century ago. I can think of a few reasons--perhaps it's a test to see how much the electorate will take. As an example, if I were trying to create something along these lines, I would've been hard pressed to have come up with something more appropriate than the vice-presidential debate.

And now, just in time for Thanksgiving, here comes a new video that reinforces all those thoughts. Back in Alaska, Palin staged a photo op in which she "pardons" a turkey from the slaughterhouse. Sure, that's a cliche, but how many politicians have then followed that up by giving an impromptu press conference with turkeys being slaughtered in the background? I'm only providing a link because, although it doesn't focus on the details, this video can be somewhat disturbing. But look at it? Is there any other way you'd line up the scene if this was exactly what you were trying to present?

Although I point this out, I think we should continue pretending as though we don't notice. My theory is that Sarah Palin and whoever is actually behind her will continue to become more and more outlandish until someone calls them on the ruse. Instead of revealing what we know, let's see how far they're willing to go.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, November 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, let's.

 
At 9:36 AM, November 22, 2008, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

I dunno. We workers just do not understand this 'modern art.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home