Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: OK, OK, We'll Talk Veeps

Thursday, August 21, 2008

OK, OK, We'll Talk Veeps

This is a subject I've been studiously avoiding. I don't know if I'm becoming disillusioned with the Obama campaign, getting testy and impatient in the summer heat, or just allowing my traditional pessimism to come through, but I'm starting to worry about Obama's chances in the fall. The Democratic convention is still a few days away, so you can easily argue that the majority of potential voters haven't really started paying attention, but it feels to me that the Obama campaign has just become a bit lackluster. And all the hype and "excitement" surrounding Obama's choice for vice president just reinforces all of this for me. I don't particularly like any of the candidates who are being bandied about. I could live with Biden, I suppose, because at least I get the feeling that he'd enjoy fighting back against the Republicans. We can be fairly confident that he'd have a reasonable rapport with Obama, at least from Biden's end--he's already on record with his recognition that Obama is clean (and articulate--don't forget articulate). Evan Bayh would be a capitulation to the Clinton wing of the party and I wonder how much he has in common with Obama philosophically. Kathleen Sibelius offers very little oomph (which is particularly notable in her delivery of the Democratic response to this year's State of the Union address. Tim Kaine would reinforce the expectation that Democrats need a Southern white guy on any national ticket they run--I have to admit, though, that Kaine's the candidate I know least about, so I don't have a whole lot to say about him. But none of these people seem to add excitement or, well, much of anything to an Obama ticket. They've got to give it to somebody.

On the other side of the aisle, I have no doubt who I wholeheartedly support for McCain's running mate: Joe Lieberman. It can be an all also-ran-from-2000 ticket. Now, that might be worth supporting.

1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, August 21, 2008, Blogger Jason said...

I remain convinced that the Obama campaign is running a rope-a-dope, and that scoring the campaign now is like scoring the Rumble in the Jungle in the middle of the fourth round. Hopefully, time will prove me right.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while the McCain campaign has devoted its energy to running "Obama is a celebrity!" ads, the Obama campaign has devoted its energy to registering voters and building a GOTV infrastructure. If those endeavors pay off like the campaign hopes they will, then the polls are meaningless because they are ignoring a massive influx of new voters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home