Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Boxing Day

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

Even on vacation I have no time to write to this blog. My Boxing Day post is right up against midnight for Boxing Day, so probably the majority of people reading it will read it after Boxing Day itself.

I'm afraid I know of no comic book covers that would represent Boxing Day. The Beano or Viz probably have something if I had access to look at them, but you can pretty much bet that there's nothing in American comics. It's not entirely clear how the holiday came about. As it's on the day after Christmas, there's little question that it's related to that larger holiday, but precisely how it's related has not (to my knowledge) been pinned down. Even the all-knowing Wikipedia can't come up with a definitive answer and offers instead a handful of possibilities. What I pretty much do know about Boxing Day is that in most of Canada, it's roughly equivalent to the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. We're in suburban Toronto at the moment, and the papers today were chock full of ads for all the great sales available. There are the same kind of doorbuster items that you can find south of the border. I guess the idea is that now that Christmas is over, you can go out and buy what you really wanted but didn't get the day before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home