Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Egg Rolling

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Egg Rolling

I've blogged about food every now and again, with posts about donuts and cereal gaining particular popularity. A conversation I had this evening led me to think that maybe it's time again for another food post.

We were talking about the difference between egg rolls and spring rolls. In this country, spring rolls have a thinner, crispier skin and are often made without meat. Egg rolls, on the other hand, are usually stuffed even more full than spring rolls. I used to love egg rolls (and spring rolls) until a funny thing happened about twenty-five years ago. Well, it really wasn't that funny. That was the first time I ate an egg roll that had something in it that I was allergic to. It was the kind of reaction I get from peanuts or peanut butter, so I assumed they were the culprit. Since that time, more and more egg rolls have fallen the lead of the errant appetizers, and more often than not, I'm allergic to any egg roll I taste. I've asked cooks and chefs whether there's anything of the kind in their egg rolls, and they always deny it. If peanuts or peanut butter aren't present in the egg roll, what could be causing this phenomenon? I want to enjoy egg rolls again without wondering how quickly they might make me sick.

I'd intended this post to have a bit more information than it does, but I'm simply too tired to make much sense of it. Look for further allergy posts over the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home