Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Weekend Wizardry

Friday, August 04, 2006

Weekend Wizardry

A couple of weeks ago, we talked about Comic-Con International in San Diego and the wide variety of programming that it offered. I said at the time that it had more than twice as many programmed events on its first day than Wizard World Chicago has during its entire show. But be that as it may, it's Wizard World Chicago weekend this weekend, and I'll be in attendance. I've already been at the "preview" this evening, in which they open the exhibition and dealer floor for a couple of hours before the show officially opens tomorrow. They've shaken up the layout a bit, and it had gotten into a bit of a rut with the same booths and companies in the same place for what seems like several years in a row, so that brings a bit more energy to the floor. My own enthusiasm for this show is fairly low this year, and many of the people I've talked to feel the same way. Following the San Diego con by only two weeks makes it hard on the professionals who have to attend both. But I've heard it on good authority that Wizard is concerned that they may have more people than they can handle. I don't think I commented on it at the time, but earlier this year, a comics convention in New York was closed down for a period of time by the fire marshal, and even San Diego suspended its registration for a little while because of overcrowding. Is Wizard trying to hype the possibility, or is it a real threat? I don't know if they'll be able to measure the ticket sales that will be lost to Lollapalooza this weekend, but I have to assume that it will take somewhat of a bite out of Wizard World attendance. It may be very important for Wizard to have overwhelming attendance this year. If I'm locked out tomorrow (or in, for that matter), I'll let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home