Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Presidential Updates

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Presidential Updates

The Prez was on TV tonight to tell us we're winning the war in Iraq. That's good to know, because my lying eyes were telling me otherwise. Since we're winning, he argued, it would be stupid for us to pull out, which makes sense in its own convoluted way. He's never actually defined what he means by victory, so it's always possible to define it in such a way that what we're seeing now is the U.S. winning.

On that other issue about which people are talking, the secret authorization to spy on American citizens within the United States, on Friday he told Jim Lehrer that he could neither confirm nor deny signing the order because talking about ongoing investigations could compromise them. But on Saturday that worry was set aside during his weekly radio address, in which Bush essentially said, "Yeah, I did it. Wanna make something of it?" I'm currently taking entries for a betting pool on how long it will take until he tells us that he is not a crook.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't put a bet down in the pool until someone of "stature" (as vaguely defined by the media*) publicly calls him a crook.

*Knowing how the media works, that is a small group: Robert Novak, Charles Krauthammer, Ann Coulter, Katie Couric ("Codpieces Rock!"), Peggy Noonan, and maybe Sean Hannity. Though, if Barry Goldwater rose from his grave and that was his pronouncement, or Toby Keith wrote a song about it, they might widen the pool.

 
At 2:45 PM, December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was as usual impressed by his ability to be a cowboy even when the chips are down. I was also comforted by his pronouncement that he is protecting my security as well as my liberty. I will as usual take my drugs and have a good night's sleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home