Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: A Technical Request

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A Technical Request

Do any local (Chicago) readers have access to a DVD burner? I've got a DVD-R somebody gave me that I can't play, but I think the problem is as simple as the fact that it wasn't finalized. If I can just get to a burner to get it finalized, I think it'll be problem solved.

Also, does anybody have any experience with .vob files? I may be wrong, but that seems to be an extension that will play on DVD players but isn't Web accessible--if I provided a link to it, I'm afraid that the only way someone could actually see the video would be to download the clip, save it on their hard drive, and watch it on a DVD viewer. Can it be viewed online with Real Audio, Quicktime, or Windows Media Player? If not, I should probably get whoever is able to finalize my DVD-R to also copy the clip into a Web-friendly format.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, August 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if this helps, but my eMac at home can burn CDs. As I recall, it's a two-step process. First, you drag everything over onto the CD icon. Now in the old days, you'd be done. But in this case, you then have to issue the command to burn the CD. That's when the actual copying takes place. I found early on that it was very easy to forget to do that step, leaving me with a blank CD.
As I intimated at the outset, I don't know if that's what could have happened in your case, or whether my computer can be of any assistance ('cause it's not something I really know a lot about), but if I can do anything, let me know.

 
At 3:16 PM, August 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Chuck. I haven't dealt with burning DVDs before, so this is all theoretical, but as I understand it, "finalizing" is what creates the DVD menu. When you pop a DVD into a player, it doesn't start playing it, but it brings up a menu or table of contents, and then you click on what you want to do next. This appears to be what the DVD-R I've got is missing. The DVD player recognizes that there's a DVD in it, and if the player is on a computer, you can access the DVD drive and see that there are files on the DVD. But the players just don't seem to know how to get to them. I think it would be a simple fix, but as I say, it's all theoretical at this point.

 
At 12:15 AM, January 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using a dvd duplicator can be a hassle at times but it sure is worth it in the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home