Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Vice-Presidential Musings

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Vice-Presidential Musings

Last night I'd intended to write a mocking post about Sarah Palin's particularly bad day yesterday, but I ran out of time before I had to go to bed. I was then assuming that I'd write pretty much the same thing fairly early in the day today, but after I returned to work, I heard from some Obama supporters who are truly concerned about how the Palin pick might affect the race. That truly took me by surprise.

Maybe I simply haven't wrapped my head around the pick, but I'm having trouble seeing it as anything but absurdist. Can you truly look at the McCain campaign graphic below and take it at all seriously? If so, you're one up on me. Palin was a cynical, ridiculous pick, and it can only be appreciated by cynical, ridiculous people. Yes, I mean the religious far right. And yes, they're thrilled. But so what? McCain is in big trouble if he's got to throw away his credibility as a candidate to keep the Republican base happy. Are there really any middle-of-the-road independents who will respect him for his choice? Even more far-fetched, are there really any disaffected Hillary supporters who'll flock to this Republican ticket?

One of the real strengths of Republicans is their ability to accept the unbelievable with a straight face. And they're doing that here. But those of us who live in the reality-based community can't take them at face value. Choosing Palin as his running mate is the stupid, reckless decision that it seems to be. We can't allow the Republicans to intimidate us into thinking otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home