Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: It's August--Let's Start Talking About Them Boys of Summer

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

It's August--Let's Start Talking About Them Boys of Summer

I need to stop blogging in the middle of the night when I'm feeling more and more desperate to go to bed. I start getting tired, and I lose track of some of what I've been thinking about during the day. On Thursday, I'd planned to write about the changes to the Boston Red Sox on the last day of eligible trading. I ended up talking about Lollapalooza, which was timely enough, but then I never came back to baseball. So now here's my chance.

I can't pretend to know what was happening with Manny Ramirez and the Red Sox. For some reason, the slugger became disillusioned with the team. It wasn't necessarily a surprise when he was included in a three-way trade with the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Los Angeles Dodgers, but it was still a somewhat unfortunate end to his time in Boston. I'm not sure what I might've written had I dealt with this on Thursday, but even just a few extra days has made the whole thing make more sense. The Red Sox ended up with Jason Bay, who seems to be adding spark to the team. I'm not the first person to have noticed potential parallels to the '04 season when unhappy Red Sox star Nomar Garciaparra was traded away. It was counterintuitive that losing a strong player would strengthen the team, but that's exactly what happened when the Red Sox finally broke their World Series championship drought. On the flip side, Manny has blossomed in his short time in LA. According to the LA Times, as of Monday morning, he was hitting .615, and his tenure is inspiring headlines such as "Tinseltown Is Swooning Over Manny." Before the trade, I hadn't been aware that Alyssa Milano had her own baseball blog. Well, she does, she's a Dodgers fan, and she is STOKED that Manny is now in Dodger Blue. So is this trade best for everybody involved? It's too early to know for sure, but initial signs certainly are positive.

3 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

I think losing Manny isn't such a big problem...Bay is a good player. But giving up Hansen and Lowrie...THAT is a problem.

 
At 8:52 PM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Obviously that should be Hansen and Moss. Sorry.

 
At 4:02 AM, August 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about Bay, but why do you see the loss of Hansen and Moss as a problem? Hansen had time to develop into a powerhouse pitcher, but it wasn't happening yet. Moss has potential to develop into a star, but at this point it's just potential. The Red Sox seemed to have a problem with Manny--and from what most people are saying, it was a problem of team morale as much as anything else--and they needed to address it. If giving away two players way down the roster for a chance to bring cohesion to a team in the midst of a pennant race, I'm not sure management had much other choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home