Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: If Obama's Not Qualified, Then Who Is?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If Obama's Not Qualified, Then Who Is?

I've just got time for a quick question, tonight. We know that Hillary's said a number of times that, unlike herself and John McCain, Barack Obama has just not had enough tough foreign policy experience to be qualified as Commander-in-Chief. There's been a spirited debate over that in various places (all of which you can find yourself if you bother to do a little Googling--don't look to me to make everything easy for you), but whichever side you come down on that point, it still leaves open the question of who, besides herself and John McCain, does live up to the standard.

The answer, of course, is none other than Sinbad! Sinbad accompanied Hillary (and Chelsea and Sheryl Crow) to Bosnia to entertain the troops. Mary Anne Akers of The Washington Post talked to him recently. And whatever else you might have to say about Sinbad, the man has nerves of steel:

Harrowing? Not that Sinbad recalls. He just remembers it being a USO tour to buck up the troops amid a much worse situation than he had imagined between the Bosnians and Serbs.

In an interview with the Sleuth Monday, he said the "scariest" part of the trip was wondering where he'd eat next. "I think the only 'red-phone' moment was: 'Do we eat here or at the next place.'"

Clinton, during a late December campaign appearance in Iowa, described a hair-raising corkscrew landing in war-torn Bosnia, a trip she took with her then-teenage daughter, Chelsea. "They said there might be sniper fire," Clinton said.

Threat of bullets? Sinbad doesn't remember that, either.

"I never felt that I was in a dangerous position. I never felt being in a sense of peril, or 'Oh, God, I hope I'm going to be OK when I get out of this helicopter or when I get out of his tank.'"

Yeah, sure, Sinbad's got that same problem with the Middle-Eastern name, and I can only presume that the original Sinbad was Muslim, so I don't know if the current Sinbad would get smeared with the same kind of madrassa rumors that have been dogging Obama. But at least he'd have appropriate foreign policy experience.

By the way, Sinbad also weighed in on another statement Hillary's made that always seemed a bit off:

In her Iowa stump speech, Clinton also said, "We used to say in the White House that if a place is too dangerous, too small or too poor, send the First Lady."

Say what? As Sinbad put it: "What kind of president would say, 'Hey, man, I can't go 'cause I might get shot so I'm going to send my wife...oh, and take a guitar player and a comedian with you.'"

Oh, go ahead. The jokes just write themselves.

3 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, March 13, 2008, Blogger Jason said...

Everyone knows Sinbad wasn't educated at a madrassa -- he was educated at Hillman College, alongside Denise Huxtable, Dwayne Wayne, and Whitley Gilbert.

 
At 11:19 AM, March 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My memory's not completely clear on this, but was Sinbad a student at Hillman? I thought he was a coach or something. If so, was it ever clarified that he didn't get his coaching degree at a madrassa? I was also thinking that he might have some military experience at Hillman, but then I remembered that was Col. Taylor. So I guess the best Sinbad can hope for in an Obama administration is secretary of the navy.

 
At 12:21 PM, March 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should pretend I don't know any of his "Different World" backstory. But ... he was a coach, and for at least a couple of seasons he was a resident advisor to the men in the dormitory. Walter Oakes also dated Jaleesa Vinson for a time. (I always thought there was a hint of impropriety in that relationship - but it was a different world from where I came from. Who was I to judge?) Jaleesa also later dated Col. Taylor (maybe they got married, I don't know, Karen Malina White's arrival on the show was my signal to never return), which could be the source of your confusion.

Sinbad had a brief, inglorious career in the Air Force, according to Wikipedia. Maybe if they'd invested in the B-3 Carpetbomber he'd have found his niche.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home