Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together?

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together?

In the high-stakes world of mixing disparate art forms, we've finally got a front-runner for most unexpected juxtaposition of the year. Chicago Tap Theater is performing The Hourglass in the Stop-Time Chronicles, which it's billing as a "Superhero Tap Dance Opera." (I've linked to Chicago Tap's main page because you can see a larger image of the Marvel-Comics-style cover/poster than if you go to the production's own page. If they change the front page, though, click on that second link.) I know, I didn't realize this is just what I was waiting for, either.

They're working with comics artist Andrew Pepoy, who's mainly known in superhero circles as an inker. He created the poster and helped plot and design the show with CTT artistic director Mark Yonally. The Hourglass is the title superheroine who, as you might've guessed from the title, has powers to stop time. I haven't had a chance to see this yet, but I did hear a report on Chicago Public Radio's Eight Forty-Eight that gives some more information. It's playing on weekends through the end of the month at Chicago's Athenaeum Theatre, and I'm going to try to see it before the end of the run. If anybody's taken this in, give us your opinion.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, July 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, tap doesn't really go with anything, so if it's present it's always a weird mix. At that same time, I wanna see anything that has tap in it. So, count me in when you go to see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home