Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: George and Martha, Out for a Stroll

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

George and Martha, Out for a Stroll

I had tickets last night to see Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin touring in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. I parked my car and was on the way to the theater when I noticed a couple of somewhat older people standing at the curb waiting for the light to turn green. It was raining slightly and the woman had an umbrella, but it was hard to tell from their body language whether they were together or not.

While the light was still red, the woman stepped off the curb and started to cross the street. There were some cars approaching, but they were far enough away that it's hard to tell whether she could've made it across before she'd be in danger. The man called her by name and sternly said, "Don't cross the street, you'll get hit by a car!" The woman abruptly turned and screamed, "GO TO HELL!"

Ah, George and Martha, out for a bit of a constitutional before the performance. All I could think of was, "Enjoy the show, folks."

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the show. Kathleen Turner was out for that performance, so I didn't stay. While I'm sure that the understudy did an admirable job, I was there particularly for Turner. Mrs. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk and I had seen a clip of the Broadway production, and Turner's performance uncannily reminded us of someone we know. Mrs. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk saw the show over the weekend, and she said the resemblance was even more remarkable than we'd expected, so I'm on my way back tonight to give Kathleen another try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home