Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Slipping Forward in the Timestream

Monday, March 19, 2007

Slipping Forward in the Timestream

Earlier tonight I saw a new Cadillac commercial. For a number of years, it seemed, they were using Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" as their theme song. I suppose that when they started using it the song, and the idea of using Led Zeppelin to sell cars, seemed fresh and exciting, but after hearing it for a number of years, it loses some of its appeal. So Cadillac has moved ahead nine years, all the way to 1980, and they've picked up "Start" by the Jam. I'm not sure that the lyrics exactly fit the product--they don't have many lyrics you can hear, but "If I never, ever see you" comes through, suggesting longing and unfulfilled desire (perhaps not the best emotions to draw out for an expensive car) and also "What you give is what you get." But you do get the exciting bass line and jagged guitar solo, which is somehow oddly reminiscent of "Taxman," so the Baby Boomers can still find it familiar, as well.

The Jam is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I've long admired frontman Paul Weller. At one time I might've been disappointed and bandied about the "sell out" tag, but nowadays I'm not so sure. 'Cause we've all grown up, and we've got our lives, and the values that we had once upon a time seem stupid now, 'cause the rent must be paid. I don't want you to get me wrong. Ideals are fine when you are young, and I must admit we had a laugh, but that's all it was and ever will be. But there's no time for dreams when commerce calls. You're just a dreamer if you don't realize, and the sooner you do will be the better for you, then we'll all be happy, and we'll all be wise and all bow down to the burning sky.

6 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, March 20, 2007, Blogger Stevie T said...

Wow, The Jam-Cadillac combo causes me even more cognitive dissonance than the Zeppelin-Cadillac combo did....

Doug, can you call that last paragraph there a mashup? Or because you took from only one source, is it something else?

 
At 1:27 PM, March 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say it's more of a remix.

 
At 10:31 PM, March 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I will use that post as my lead in for the persuasion and advertising unit. Weller seems abit more profound than Townshend's "Hope I die before I get old."

 
At 7:51 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Just one more guy who made promises that he can't keep. No more Weller CDs for me.

 
At 9:39 AM, March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Stu, maybe it's a subversive new campaign by Cadillac. Maybe they're admitting that luxury car owners feel as desperate as me. Maybe they've finally realized that we all love our consumer culture with a passion called hate. (Yeah, I've got a million of 'em.)

 
At 12:58 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Stuart Shea said...

I'll be happy if I never ever see it...again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home