Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Gabba Gabba Whoops

Monday, July 03, 2006

Gabba Gabba Whoops

I've been thoroughly enjoying this four-day weekend, and I haven't been completely keeping up with late-breaking news. It's a slow news weekend anyway, (although there were a couple of items that I'll talk about later after I take a bit more time to gather my thoughts and put them together in nice, readable chunks). But there is one development that I can talk about without a huge amount of deep thought. A week ago, I wrote about Gabba Gabba Hey!, a musical based around the music of The Ramones, that was opening at the end of the month in London. Well, no more.

According to the show's Website, the opening and the rest of the run have been cancelled. No "Punk Rock Musical." No "Lower East Side Love Story." The site gives no reason for the cancellation, simply offering an apology for our inconvenience. I looked a little bit around the Web, and came up mostly blank. I didn't spend too much time, but the only reference I found at all was on Hugh Cornwell's Website. The ex-Stranglers frontman was apparently signed to appear as Johnny Thunders in the first few performances, and the news announcing this on his own page was crossed out, with only the phrase "Show Cancelled" added in.

There are any number of reasons that a show can be cancelled with only a month to go, so it's pointless to speculate. It did have some intriguing performances lines up, though. Tommy Erdelyi was to be musical director and "guest artist," whatever that entailed, and the cast was to include Angie Bowie and Tony James of Generation X and Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Although the producers may have been planning changes, the show did already exist in some form, having already played in Australia and Germany. There may not be anything further to learn, but if I come across new information, I'll pass it on.

3 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, July 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to this, and hoping it would might pave the way for musicals about the Clash, The Jam, and Elvis Costello.

 
At 7:21 AM, August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Michael from Berlin and I produced the Gabba Gabba Hey! Show in Germany. We played 9 Shows n Berlin and did a tour with shows in Switzerland as well. Have a look at my website. www.gabbagabbhey.info

 
At 7:22 AM, August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.gabbagabbahey.info - sorry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home