Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Bush and the End Times

Friday, March 24, 2006

Bush and the End Times

Last week, someone asked me whether I thought that Bush was actually a millennialist who believes Armageddon is nigh and that Christ's return is imminent. From what little we know of his personal faith, it seems to come out of the tradition that supports such a view, so I said that I guessed he did for what it's worth, but that he seemed like a man whose primary focus is on himself and his own personal world, so I didn't think millennialist ideas were an important part of his day-to-day beliefs.

In what many in the White House are no doubt convinced is the latest argument for keeping the Prez away from open forums and questions from the actual public, Bush was asked this very question on Monday. After a speech in Cleveland about Iraq (he apparently thinks things are going well and we should stay the course), the very first question he took from the audience cited Phillips's American Theocracy and asked if Bush believed terrorism and the Iraqi War are signs of the apocalypse. Bush squirmed and replied:

The answer is -- I haven't really thought of it that way. (Laughter.) Here's how I think of it. The first I've heard of that, by the way. I guess I'm more of a practical fellow.

He then proceeded to give a meandering reply about Iraq in general for about 700 words, pausing to joke about not answering the question--

("I'm kind of getting off subject here, not because I don't want to answer your question, but kind of -- I guess, that's what happens in Washington, we get a little long-winded. [Laughter.]")

--and finally repeating his point about being practical.

Now, if he's never heard of such a thing before, he can't be paying attention on Sunday morning. I don't have a problem believing that his mind might wander during the sermon, but you know he's going to pay attention if anybody at church mentions terrorism or Iraq. And you also know somebody has.

We still can't say whether he believes it or not. Although he strongly implied that he does not, this whole exchange feels very much like a nonanswer rather than definitive information. What we do now know, though, is that all of a sudden his instinct to distance himself from his fundamentalist supporters when pressed seems quite strong, indeed. He'll separate himself from his religious right base when he feels it necessary, but that's exactly the kind of behavior to which that same religious right does not take kindly.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, March 25, 2006, Blogger Stevie T said...

I give him credit for noticing that he wasn't answering the question. He's smarter than I thought he was, but this comment is not really addressing the point of the post, is it? Not because I don't want to address it....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home