Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: The More Things Change . . .

Saturday, January 14, 2006

The More Things Change . . .

In a comment to my post yesterday on Laurence Tribe's testimony to the Judiciary Committee, Ron offered some insight into an aspect of the culture wars that I thought deserved room up top in the blog.

The conservative movement seems to have successfully "delegitimized" conscious efforts at diversity -- on the court, in business, in academia. They have successfully reintroduced the equivalent of the "civil service exam" as the sole criteria upon which a candidate should be judged with "an up or down vote."

At the turn of the twentieth century it was the WASP powerbase that was threatened by the urban (ethnic) machine politics. Today it's white male culture in general that is threatened. The cultural responses to both are similar.

2 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, January 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm honored. I've never been on the top of a blog before.

 
At 1:37 PM, January 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron, you should allow your wisdom to have a broader audience. Share the wealth, I say! (Of course, I'm not a communist--do we still have to point that out these days?--so I'm for sharing the wisdom, but my bank account, such as it is, is mine.) But if I recall, you were starting your own blog at one point, weren't you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home