Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Canadian Content

Monday, January 16, 2006

Canadian Content

I was all ready to start complaining about my lack of blog hits from Canada. It had been several days since I'd had any Canadian readers, and I was really annoyed. I've got relatives and friends up there and everything! I finally had a Canadian hit early Saturday morning, but that wasn't enough, I was still going to complain. But then I got three today! Fairly evenly spaced throughout the day, too. (If you haven't guessed already, this is not one of those blogs that registers daily hits into the five figures. The lack of advertising on either side of the page should've been your first clue.)

After I got over my annoyance at being ignored by an entire country, I realized that I might draw more Canadians over for a looksee if I talked about more Canadian things. In an effort to do just that, I pass along a story Chuck G sent me over the Christmas break. The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that sex clubs are not illegal. Although you're still not allowed to exchange money--because that's prostitution and remains illegal--the Court wrote, "Consensual conduct behind code-locked doors can hardly be supposed to jeopardize a society as vigorous and tolerant as Canadian society." The Court moved from a position of asking how an average Canadian might react to such clubs to one of asking what active harm such clubs cause. Consensual conduct. Closed doors. Nobody gets hurt, thus no harm to society. It would be easy to make this topic salacious, but my, that's a civilized attitude.

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could also write something about the election. It would help me out as I try to learn about Canadian politics before my job interview in Montreal.

For example, you could help me understand what it means it the conservatives win. As a Yank, I am inclined to think that it means a plurality of Canadians agrees with Bush. Is that so? Those emails Gord wrote awhile back about Canadian vs American politics would be interesting....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home