Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Missed It by That Much

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Missed It by That Much


There are a handful of TV shows from my childhood that I followed avidly from as young as I can remember: Daniel Boone, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Flintstones, Lost in Space. I loved all of those, but one of my absolute favorites was Get Smart. I wasn't old enough to see James Bond at the movies, and for me at five years old, Maxwell Smart was a serious enough secret agent. Sure, there were punch lines, but Kaos was an ominous threat, and Control needed to use all their resources to keep them at bay. I didn't know what kind of car Max drove at the beginning of the opening, but I knew I wanted one (and forty years later, I still do), and the succession of opening doors continue to have a strange fascination for me. I hardly knew it, but this was my first exposure to Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, as well. And yes, even though I was only five years old, I knew Agent 99 was hot. By the way, the cover above was the only issue of the Get Smart comic I owned.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the attention Don Adams is getting upon his death. There are the regular obits, of course, but he's also showing up in a couple of other places. There's a nice appreciation of Get Smart and its catchphrases in The Washington Post. And Eric McCormack claims Adams was his inspiration to become an actor. Thanks for the laughs, Don.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Stevie T said...

I was sad to hear of his death. I just hope that before he died he got wind of some of the nice sentiments that pleasantly surprised you Doug. I've never forgotten how, after working with him, Francesca once described him as bitter that he was not successful post Get Smart. I always felt a bit sorry for him after hearing that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home