Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Logy

Friday, September 23, 2005

Logy

Very slow, sluggish blogging tonight. I seem to have some sort of a bug that's going around. It's not enough to knock me out, but it's really slowing me down. If I just couldn't get out of bed at all that might be better, because then I'd give up on any ambition of getting anything much done. This way, I start to do things but move forward with very little energy and just get frustrated.

Not that there's not plenty to talk about. Rita is still bearing down on the Texas coast, although it seems at this point that Galveston and Houston have dodged a bullet (if administration officials again try to use that phrase to excuse their slacking, you'll know they've been reading this blog). Port Arthur doesn't seem quite so lucky. On some Web page that I can't find again at the moment, Dan Rather was quoted as saying that waiting for the hurricane to hit is always the most difficult part of the experience (his reporting when Hurricane Carla hit Houston more than forty years ago gave him his first national attention). I think that's probably right. You've done everything you can do to prepare, and you're left just wondering if it's going to be enough. It's even worse this time, because the memories of the devastation this kind of storm can wreak is fresh in our minds. (I also have a theory that seeing our government and society fall so far short in the Katrina recovery has been difficult for our psyches, a situation that's not been lessened by how the evacuation of Houston played out [or failed to], but this is probably not the time for it--maybe when I'm feeling better.) Not to mention that New Orleans is flooding again.

And there's other stuff--Roberts coming through the Judiciary Committee with three Democratic votes, although more and more Dems are lining up to vote against him in the main Senate vote. There's Bill Frist being investigated for ordering a stock sale before it experienced a hugedrop in value. Insider trading? I don't know, but it's just a little bit suspicious that the stock was supposed to have been in a blind trust.

But there'll be time for all of that tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm going to go to bed and watch the hurricane coverage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home