Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: The Future of the Comics Market?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Future of the Comics Market?

After attending both BEA and MoCCA, Heidi MacDonald takes a few minutes to consider the current consolidation of comics and bookstores. Graphic novels made a strong showing at BEA, and book publishers were plenty in evidence at MoCCA. She talks about specific trends, but her main point is that the two markets will continue to overlap and merge. This is comics' moment to step into the big time their creators have always dreamed of.

In summation, it's good to be cautious. Hope for the best but expect the worst and all that. It's inevitable that some of this will come a cropper. Some people are clueless trend-jumpers, and there will be some huge failures. But there will also be successes.

Can't we have a little self confidence here? I know, I know, I'm talking about cartooners, your most self-loathing creative type. Do we really think that comics are that crappy a medium? Didn't we always say that if we could just get a fair shake, people would like us?

The fair shake is here. I'm sure there are going to be some disasters. Creators are going to make bad decisions. Editors are going to screw up. But I think we'll make it, I really do, because (choke) I believe in the power of comics. And so do you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home