Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Frist Can't Be Happy

Monday, May 02, 2005

Frist Can't Be Happy

For ages, I’ve seen no point in Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist running for president, and even less in anyone taking a Frist candidacy seriously. He’s got no natural constituency, and he’s only got his powerful position in the Senate because he’s a Bush yes-man and Trent Lott doesn’t know how to keep his mouth closed. Clearly, Frist realized he had a problem of potential support, as well, which is why he’s gone to such trouble to court the religious right. I believe (and I’m hardly the only one who does) his recent video appearance at “Justice Sunday” to curry favor with the religious right against the demonic filibuster was a transparent attempt to garner support for 2008.

He can’t have been happy with Pat Robertson comments on yesterday’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos. I preface this by saying that no one should take Pat Robertson seriously, of course, but if you’re trying to cozy up to him and his supporters, I guess it kind of goes with the territory. Sunday Morning Talk has the details:

ROBERTSON: Bill is a wonderfully compassionate human being. He is humanitarian. He goes on medical missions. He's a delightful person. I just don't see him as a future president. I think he's said he didn't want to run for president. Maybe I'm putting words in his mouth.

Maybe he is. What do you think?

I’m sorry I missed the broadcast, because Pat looks to have been in fine entertainment form. Atrios points us to this New York Daily News headline: “Robertson: Judges worse than Al Qaeda.” And back at Sunday Morning Talk, we can see that, although Pat could support a Rudy Giuliani candidacy, “McCain I'd vote against under any circumstance.” In relation to judges, he said, “It's a tyranny of an oligarchy that I'm concerned about”--that’s right, he wants a tyranny of a fundamentalarchy instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home