Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Declaration of Principles

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Declaration of Principles

OK, it’s a fair enough question. What makes this blog different from any of the ones I mentioned above or of the millions of others out there? Why should you spend your time surfing over to my little clearing among the online brush? While I’m tempted to paraphrase the Smiths (this one is different because it’s me) and leave it at that, I’ll spell out a little bit of how I see this developing.

I’ve chosen a title that I hope will spur me to keep this space well updated. A half dozen comments posted weeks apart can hardly be considered talking myself to death, so I’m setting my sights high and hoping I don’t discover that I’ve made a much larger commitment than I realize at this point.

In the grand solipsistic tradition of blogs, I’ll be writing about things that interest me, but I’ll also draw upon the communal aspects of the blogosphere and link to other items and opinions as I come across them. I’ll talk about music, movies, pop culture, et al. I’d like to talk about books, but I’ve got to admit that my reading is not as voluminous as it once was, so there may not be as much fodder as I’d prefer. Comics are likely to come up from time to time, though (a quick shout-out to all my “Comics can be books, too” friends). It’s impossible for me to avoid current events, but, like a number of other progressives lately, my patience for politics has worn thin. However (obligatory “out”/“pulled back in” reference), the subject will
probably keep popping up more often than I expect.

Most of all, though, I expect this process to evolve. Although I read a lot of blogs, I don’t entirely know what I’m getting into with creating and keeping up my own, so we’ll see how it develops. I may find the plusses and minuses of blogging to be far different than I anticipate.

--Only my second post, and I'm already confronting the Blogger problems I've heard so much about. If you're reading this, congratulations are in order--Blogger finally let me post.

5 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, April 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you read as much as you ever did, but other things (INTERNET, hint, hint, know what I mean) have replaced your BOOK reading to some extent.

On comics, Montgomery County, MD has decided that comics will engage their non-readers in high school. So they're including them somehow in their English curriculum next year. What do you think Kenny?

 
At 8:28 AM, April 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading is reading--anything that engages students to read rather than watch TV. Although I never caught the bug, comics offer anyone a chance to read engaging stories with pictures. I know elementary schools that require silent reading time everyday where students regularly bring comics to read.

 
At 7:38 AM, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, congrats on entering the fray. There's room - nay necessity - for your e-voice.
Best, Sheldn

 
At 7:38 AM, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Sheldon

 
At 9:00 AM, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sheldon.

I thought Sheldn might be your new, streamlined Internet name. You should consider it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home