Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Started a Blog, I Started a Blog–Look at Me! I Started a Blog!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Started a Blog, I Started a Blog–Look at Me! I Started a Blog!

Even in the absence of a huge groundswell of support, here I am on the old WWW. Although setting the blog up was, as promised, relatively easy, I had the worst time trying to establish a URL address. It seems everybody had already taken any appropriate address I could come up with. To tie into my title, I tried talktalktalk.blogspot.com. Taken. What about talktalktalktalk.blogspot.com? Gone. I did my own search for talktalktalktalktalk.blogspot.com, and it sent me to the no known address page at blogspot, but I thought 20 letters before you got to blogspot.com was just too long. Maybe a different approach to the title. Nope, somebody else has talkmyself.blogspot.com. I decided against using death in the address, so I don't know if something along those lines would have been possible (I imagine death is pretty well covered, though). I thought of using my name, but somebody already has tonks.blogspot.com. Although dtonks.blogspot.com doesn't load if you type it in, Blogger told me it was unavailable. I tried some that were more generic, but probably for protocol reasons, it wouldn't let me use urladdress.blogspot.com. Somebody must have dibs on myblog.blogspot.com--I thought at first that Blogger might not allow blog in the URL for some other protocol reason, but blog.blogspot.com has been updated relatively recently, so I guess not. Other generics, myplace.blogspot.com, myaddress.blogspot.com, mynamehere.blogspot.com all bring up pages. At one point, I was getting so frustrated I even tried blogginblogblog.blogspot.com, and sure enough, somebody's got a blog at that address. I finally came up with something I was happy with, talkinthetalk.blogspot.com, which you'll see if you glance up at the web address of this page, but I apologize in advance for any confusion this might cause with the good people at talkingthetalk.blogspot.com.

I'll be back for more soon. In the meantime, make a visit to your local CD emporium and demand Art Brut.

5 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, April 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does it mean talk inside of other talk, or talkin' the talk?

Also, the comment box below is a bit confusing because it looks like you have to log in at first if the "Blogger" circle is chosen.

 
At 9:33 PM, April 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of the blog. I don't visit so many though, so it doesn't mean much that I haven't seen this template elsewhere.

 
At 11:55 PM, April 07, 2005, Blogger Doug said...

It's talkin' the talk, but as far as I know, you can't use an apostrophe in a URL, so you get the confusion. Also, I'm happy enough with the look of it, but it's a straight template, so I'll probably do something to tweak it a little bit.

 
At 8:14 AM, April 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great. I can use this as my home page. I think the apostrophe makes a difference--I thought it was talk inside talk--sorta Orwell's "doublespeak." I was sure you didn't want that.

 
At 12:44 PM, April 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how important the URL is. When I see other blogs, I tend to think of the title as the identity and the URL as a placeholder. Am I out of step with Internet thinking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home