Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Another Step Forward in the House

Friday, May 11, 2007

Another Step Forward in the House

The House Dems passed the partial funding of the Iraq funds, with two Republicans coming over to join them and ten Dems jumping ship and voting with the Repubs against any limitations on funding at all. As I suspected, all the talk of groundswells growing in the Republican party came to nothing as pretty much everyone on the record about being troubled by the war in Iraq voted against controlling the Prez's spending on that self-same war. I did say that no one would be publicly moving their position until at least September.

One interesting thing on this vote, though, is that before it was final, the Prez stepped up and offered the possibility that he'd consider benchmarks in a compromise (it's in the NYTimes story linked above). I can see that possibility now: "Should I compromise? Would it be a good opportunity to compromise? Uh, no." Well, at least he considered it. We'll see if he puts anything resembling a compromise forward or if he just waits to turn down compromises the Dems offer him.

It's all well and good that the Dems could keep their coalition together for today's vote, but before we get overexcited, let's remember that the Senate needs to vote on this before it goes to the Prez to exercise his threatened veto. Senate Dems have been a bit more hesitant, but holding the House back can be viewed as a negative these days, too.

I've got more to say on this subject, but none of it is coalescing in my brain right now. I think I'm going to sleep whether I like it or not. Excuse me, while I bid you good night and pray for a typo-free post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home