Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Apparently Guns Do Kill People

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Apparently Guns Do Kill People

Go read Elayne Boosler on guns over at The Huffington Post. It's got cutting wit, righteous indignation, and even some statistics to back it all up: all the elements of a classic post.

We are getting tired of prying your guns out of your cold dead hands.

Here's a news flash for you gun waving "real Americans": It's not about guns. It's about money. Follow the money. The NRA raises hundreds of millions of dollars by convincing you they are fighting for your "rights". Wake up. It's a business. Just like any other business, except with the help of their bought off representatives, they are the only UNREGULATED consumer product in America. What do they sell? FEAR. Fear, fake patriotism, and fake bravado, just like their commander in chief, President Custer. You're being played.

There's much, much more at the link, and it's well worth your time. At one point she refers to one of the most notorious pieces of nonsense rhetoric used by gun proponents:

"If we ban handguns only criminals will have guns." Well then let's not have any laws in America at all. No drug laws, no traffic laws, no laws at all, right? Duh.

The first time I heard this, it was phrased, "If they outlawed guns, only outlaws would have guns." I don't know where I came across my favorite rejoinder to that--probably a bumper sticker or something--but its logic is unassailable: "If the outlawed crime, only outlaws would be criminals."

6 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always liked the bumper sticker reading, "Guns don't kill people; people with guns kill people!"

 
At 6:29 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One other memorable moment: I was performing at a grade school in a small town and parked in the teachers' parking lot. One of the teachers at this public school proudly displayed a bumper sticker reading (next to an American flag): "My gun, my God, my country." Where does one even begin to discuss such a display? Does one start with the fact that it was a public school and not a parochial one, or does one start with the implications of putting a mind like that one in charge of educating children?

 
At 10:59 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they were being ironic.

 
At 3:19 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Stevie T said...

I never understood the logic of having "My gun" first in that list.

 
At 6:05 PM, April 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... you know, this could be purely a matter of correct punctuation. How about, "My gun...my god, my country!"

 
At 10:07 PM, April 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm rather partial to the slogan: Keep abortion safe, legal, and fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home