Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Do You Want Freedom Fries with That?

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Do You Want Freedom Fries with That?

I just lost a post that I've been working on for a couple of hours, and I simply don't have the strength to go back and start it again tonight. But in keeping with my promise to have at least one new post up every day, I'm going to punt by borrowing a funny link from Chris at AMERICAblog.

Proving that patriotism isn't really about, well, being patriotic but rather about semantics, instead, Iran has borrowed a page from American right wingers. They apparently love them some Danish pastry in Iran, but with the cartoon controversy from the Danish newspaper growing to such huge proportions, they couldn't keep selling them. Or selling them by that name, at least. So now Danish pastry is referred to as "roses from the Prophet Muhammad."

I have to admit that the first thing I wondered when I saw this was whether they really called Danish pastry "Danish pastry" in Iran, seeing as how they speak Farsi and everything. My doubts weren't vanquished, but they were severely diminished when I noticed that even Aljazeera picked up the AP article. In the caption to the accompanying picture, Aljazeera assures readers that Iranian Danish is baked domestically and not imported.

4 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Don said...

I hate it when that happens...losing a long post. it's like blogger knows (and doesn't like) when we try and put above average work into one. sorry.

 
At 9:42 PM, February 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's horribly annoying. Even when you try to recreate a post like that, you're lost to the standards that you've already started to mythologize about that existed in the lost post. You think, "This can never be as good as it once was."

 
At 11:55 PM, February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's how I handle most of my posts: I type them into a Word document, saving frequently. Only after I'm finished there do I copy and paste the text into my blog. That one extra step has saved me from heartache and/or headache at least several times, as my blog or internet access crashes far more frequently than does Word. That extra step also gives me one additional chance to spot errors and make amendments.

 
At 1:07 AM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do that sometimes, but not as often as I should (obviously). Somehow it just doesn't seem like blogging if you word-process first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home